Christmas Gift Sponsorship
Since 2014, we have been coordinating a Christmas gift sponsorship program to help the underprivileged children in School District 303 receive gifts from wish lists that each child personally creates. We work with social workers who gather wish list information from families they feel may need some assistance providing Christmas gifts for their children.
The parents provide the social workers with toy ideas as well as clothing/shoe sizes for each child. Many of these kids are in need of basic things like winter coats, boots, gloves, socks, etc. Once we receive these wish lists, our little elves reach out to the community to fulfill them. In 2018, we were able to provide gifts to 443 children from birth up to 8th grade.
How does this Big Hearts of Fox Valley Christmas Sponsorship impact the community?
Every Christmas there are children who do not receive gifts because their families are struggling financially and cannot afford the expense. The Big Hearts of Fox Valley Christmas Sponsorship program has been running since 2014 to ensure that these children have a wonderful holiday season with their families.
How is this different from other holiday programs?
It’s different from other holiday assistance programs because the sponsor is able to feel a special connection with their “adopted” child. The sponsor receives a personalized wish list for the child. This will consist of three gifts ideas and clothing/shoe sizes. Many of these lists include basic items like coats, boots and gloves. We ask that you purchase at least 3 items that they ask for. Since this, in many cases, will be the only gifts they receive you can expect to spend about $40.00 – $50.00 for each child.
How are children selected to receive gifts?
We are in contact with the social workers from each school. They pick out they children they feel are in need the most. The social workers get the lists to us using assigned child IDs so we never know who these children are. The social workers take the wrapped gifts with them and the families come pick them up from their school.
Who can be a sponsor?
Any individual or group who is interested in providing joy to a child in need! Participating is a great way for any organization, company, neighborhood, or any type of group to come together and give back during the holiday season. A sponsor can register as either an individual sponsor or register on behalf of a group.
Is it a lot of work to be a sponsor?
No, it’s not hard at all! You can request a child(children) of a certain age or gender and we will do our best to make that happen. Parents love taking their kids out to shop with them. It’s a great way to show the importance of giving back. We are always available throughout the process to answer any questions you might have.
What do I buy? How do I determine how many children to sponsor?
When deciding on how many children to adopt, please note that sponsors should spend $40-$50 on gifts for each child. We ask that sponsors purchase at LEAST one toy and a couple clothing items from the child’s wish list. If they ask for a coat, please consider that something that needs to be purchased. Remember that this may be the only items the child receives for Christmas so please treat them accordingly. All gifts need to be new.
How do I register to be a sponsor?
We are currently recruiting people who want to purchase gifts for 5 or more children. Please reach out to us for more information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those of you wanting to purchase gifts for less tan 5 children, please reach out to us after November 10th.
If I want to register to sponsor multiple wish lists for my team, how do I coordinate the collection of gifts?
I will send over the wish lists for you to distribute. Someone will need to be responsible for collecting all the gifts for every child assigned to you. You would be responsible for making sure each child’s gifts are accounted for. You will need to drop of all the gifts at the same time.
How do I package my purchased gifts?
We get thousands of gifts in a short amount of time. In order to keep things organized and running smoothly it’s very important to follow these rules:
- Put the child’s gifts together and clearly mark the child’s identification number ON or INSIDE each bag/box.
- If you bought gifts for more than one child, please put them in separate bags. Clearly mark the child’s identification number ON or INSIDE each bag/box.
- If you can’t fit the child’s gifts into a single bag/box, make sure to mark each bag/box with the child’s ID and that it’s bag 1 of 2 or 2 of 2 etc.
- Try to tie them together if you can.
- When you drop off the child’s gifts, you will sign in that you’ve dropped them off.
- All gifts for each child will need to be brought in at the same time. If you are still waiting on something, please wait and bring them in all at once.
- If you are ordering the gifts from somewhere like Amazon, please watch the delivery dates. Give yourself plenty of time to get all items.
- There is no need to put them in a nice gift bag. The gifts will get cataloged and put into giant red bags.
- If there are clothes, putting them in gift boxes does help when it comes time to wrap. Please do not tape the boxes shut.
The sooner the better, but all gifts must be brought to us before the deadline. 2019 deadline is November 30th.
Where do I drop off my gifts?
You will drop them off during normal business hours at our business, Excel Automotive Repair at 1207 Foundry St. St Charles.
I own my own business. Are there any sponsorship opportunities for me?
Yes! There are a few different ways you can help.
- You can be a sponsor for multiple children and go out and buy gifts for those children.
- You can be a monetary sponsor. We need funds to purchase last minute gifts for children. Sometimes the sponsor doesn’t come through with buying the gifts. Sometimes we need filler gifts. Sometimes we need to go out and purchase more clothing for a child.
- You could be a gift card sponsor, book sponsor or board game sponsor. These are all items we use as filler gifts for children.
- Please see the sponsorship page for more details on becoming a BIG HEART sponsor and see how we would like to thank you for your support.